Legislation Alert: Uniting American Families Act

Our friend Eugene Sepulveda alerted us to a new piece of proposed legislation intended to help those LGBT couples impacted by immigration enjoy the same rights as heterosexual couples. According to the Gay Life section of About.com, the Uniting American Families Act, UAFA, H.R. 2221, seeks to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act. If passed, the legislation would allow permanent partners of United States citizens and permanent residents, including same-sex partners, to obtain residency. Currently, only the heterosexual spouses of U.S. citizens are granted citizenship once they marry.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) is reintroducing the legislation this coming Friday, after introducing a version in 2007.

If you’re moved to write a letter to your representatives in Congress to alert them to the reintroduction of the bill and your support for it, here’s a suggested template:

I am writing to ask for your support of gay & lesbian equality in immigration policy by asking that you sign as a cosponsor of the Uniting American Families Act of 2009.

The U.S. government discriminates against gay and lesbian binational couples by not allowing us/them to sponsor foreign-born life partners for immigration. Because of this, we/they face the terrible choice of separating from the person we/they love or leaving our/their country. As Americans, we should not have to choose between family and country. Please cosponsor the Uniting American Families Act of 2009 by reaching out to Rep. Nadler before February 12.

Passage of the bill would not only be a triumph for those LGBT couples who find themselves in this situation, but it will also be another step forward in helping LGBT couples gain the same rights that straight couples currently have.  We’ll keep you updated on its status.


3 Responses to Legislation Alert: Uniting American Families Act

  1. luminariamedia says:

    Looking for your rep in Congress? Here’s a handy guide:


  2. Rachel says:

    Like many people before me, the love of my life is an American, and i cannot be with her due to American immigration laws.

    After meeting while i was on holiday in America, we started dating, and continued to do so after i returned back to my country. I soon found i could return on a students visa, where i moved in with my partner and continued to fall further in love with her. I asked her to marry me, and she said yes. However i had to return home after my student visa expired, leaving both of us heartbroken.

    My fiance’ and I are trying to find every way possible for me to be able to migrate to America so we can be together. All we want is to be a normal couple, to wake up next to each other every morning, to say goodnight, and pull her closer, instead of turning off my laptop.

    If this bill passed, i would finally be able to live with the love of my life, to be with her everyday. This is what i dream of.

    Please support this bill so that couple like my fiance’ and i can finally be together.

  3. Rachel —

    Thanks for sharing your story, and know that we’re behind you 100 percent.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: